Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pondering Backyard Lessons

We were in Jeff’s backyard on a lazy Sunday afternoon; enjoying the weather and the fellowship. The fact that Jeff loves to push people into the pool kept several of us ladies on the opposite side of the pool so we could keep an eye on him. There was no way we were going to let him sneak up behind us! So, we just dangled our feet in the pool and caught up on each other’s lives.

We should have known better than to think we could outsmart the trickster. It was obvious he was planning something, but we foolishly felt safe from our vantage point clear across the pool. But then, when we least expected it, fully dressed and all, he took a flying leap into the pool and landed in a cannonball position with just enough of a slant to completely soak everyone within our vicinity! Stinker! He was so proud of himself!

Later, after everyone had changed clothes or dried off, we were enjoying a potluck meal together. I had gone into the house for a moment and returned with a tall glass of ice cold water. As I circled the table to take a seat, I passed behind Jeff who was already seated and chowing down. Suddenly, without any preconceived plan or forethought, I simply pulled back the neck of his shirt and dumped the whole glass right there!

Believe me, I was as shocked as Jeff and everyone else! And even before the glass was completely empty I was apologizing. “Jeff, I am so sorry! I don’t know what made me do that. I can’t believe I did that!” (I think I was just as surprised to find myself apologizing as by what I had done!)

Now, this happened a couple of years ago-at least, but I was reminded of it today as I prepare to teach a Sunday School lesson with the title: The Solution for the Sin Problem. It was this statement that caught my attention, “One of the evidences of a believer’s spiritual heartbeat is how quickly and immediately a sin is confessed and forsaken.”

So, here’s the truth I want to embrace… The LORD desires for me to be as swift to confess and repent of my sins, as I was to respond to this incident…apologizing before the glass was even empty! Now, please don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe pouring water down Jeff’s shirt was a sin and I must confess I would do it again, in a heartbeat, if the opportunity presented itself, I just want to recognize and acknowledge my sins quickly and deal with them immediately and appropriately. No denial. No excuses. No blame game. No hesitation. Just deal with it. For my sake and for His Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment